Sunday, March 15, 2015

I went to Selma, because I wanted too. Not for a photo opportunity. Just sayin'

Selma, Alabama has been in the news lately, because it was the 50th anniversary of the bloody Sunday incident.  Seeing how I enjoy history, I had to go down and see the bridge and the city.  On the way there I came across a historical marker sign on the highway.  It said gravesite of James McCrory.  Life Guard to George Washington at Valley Forge.  (history again, I ended up turning around on the highway and going back).
                                     
I did not know General Washington had a Life Guard.
Here is what is on his tombstone.  That was a long, long time ago.

Here is the bridge.   The Edmund Pettus Bridge.
 All these pictures were from the Selma side of the bridge.
 I went to the other side, and thought I took some pictures, but must have lost them as well. (idiot!)

I stopped in museum as well, and learned about the incident, and other issues of the Jim Crow laws.
It would be interesting to go back and see how much they fixed up for the 50th anniversary.

No comments:

Post a Comment