Saturday, March 14, 2015

Alabama's Cathedral Cavern

The weather is still cold up here in Fairbanks, Alaska.   The 2015 Iditarod started last Monday, and we got a whole bunch of snow the weekend before the race started.  I did not leave my home from Friday night, until Monday morning.   It snowed the whole weekend.  Unfortunately, my MacBook Air does not come with a CD drive.  I was able to correct that this week, and am going to blog a little about my past travels.

This first blog is from 2004.  My traveling PT job took me to Haleyville, & Russellville, Alabama.  I do love the South! 
 This weekend trip saw me traveling to Cathedral Cavern State Park, near Grant, Alabama.
 This would have been around April - June I believe.  
 It was warm and green!
 Cathedral Cavern sets a lot of records for caverns.  I do not remember them all, anymore.  I believe it has the largest or 2nd largest cavern mouth in the world.
 That is the entrance, and no it wasn't cut by machines.

 If you are taking a vacation through Alabama, I would recommend you see this.


 I want to say it has the largest stalagmites, and stalagtites of any cavern.

 That is not lava in the next picture.  That is a light!
 I forget what they call this pumpkin shell, or hippo buttocks looking orange rock formation, but......
 .....you guessed correctly, if you said it is probably a world record.  It is truly impressive in person.

 It is hard to get many pictures too far away with a digital camera.   I needed a little more flash power!

 Mites go up from the ground,  Tites come down from the ceiling, in case you were wondering.
 Back outside, there was this cemetery.  One thing that intrigues me about the East, is the age of stuff.  Nebraska wasn't even a state when this Cemetery was established.  The Civil War wasn't started.

 I remember this picture because, using a flash in a cavern will eat up a digital camera's battery rather quickly.   I  took the next opportunity to buy an extra battery for my Canon digital camera!
 One more look at the mouth.
If you are looking for a summer vacation spot, and are not afraid of caverns and being underground, I would recommend Cathedral Cavern State Park in Alabama.


No comments:

Post a Comment