Thursday, March 19, 2015

Cemeteries are not just for people, and bridges sometimes just are.

People have been living in Alabama for a long time.  That means that people have been dying in Alabama for a long time.   One thing I noticed about the East, is that there are a lot of cemeteries.  A thing I found peculiar in Alabama is that they will pour white sand over the cemeteries.  No one I talked to exactly knew why, but they do.

It is a neat affect.
This cemetery was just along a hiking trail.  Someone had carted in a lot of white sand.
It might have something to do with Confederate Memorial Day.   That was something else I learned from my time in Alabama.   Some of the South celebrate 2 Memorial days.  One for the Confederate soldiers, and one just like the rest of the U.S.
I guess it makes sense.  The soldiers did their government's bidding.  Soldiers don't establish policy, they just enforce it.
Some of the cemeteries were named, and someone came up with another use for PVC.

I believe this was South of Haleyville.

This is not the Natural bridge.  This is a rock formation, and it is hard to tell in the picture, but it looks like a face.  If you study it well, you can make out the eyebrow, nose, and lips.
Here is a 2nd look at the face.
Here is the Natural Bridge.  The longest East of the Rockies.
There is a walkway around the outside, underneath the bridge(see the pipe railing).  Falling stones could be a problem.

Looking up from below.
There was more than one natural bridge.
No I did not walk across it, and you are not supposed too.
It really is a big, chunk of rock.

I just like the etching in this rock.
This too.


These next pictures are from a look out above the Natchez Trace.  It was a trail between Natchez, Mississippi, and I believe Nashville, TN.  It is now a restricted use Scenic highway.  NO Commercial traffic.


Have you ever seen a Pet Cemetery?   I saw the movie, based on the Stephen King book, but I don't think I ever have.  That was until 2004.  Not only was it a pet cemetery, but it was exclusive to coon dogs.
I am not joking.  Only Coon Hounds.
 People love their pets.
 Some of the markers were wooden, with the information painted.
 There were a lot of graves.
 Yes, that is barb wire and a chain link fence, around that statue.

 The other one just had a low chain link fence.
 Someone cut the image of a baying coon hound out of stone, for this marker.






 It has an official name:  Key Underwood Coon Dog Memorial Graveyard.
 The statue is of 2 coon hounds that have treed a raccoon.   Overkill with the protection?
 Unfortunately, not.  Someone broke off the coon hound from this statue.


No comments:

Post a Comment